Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Owen's Birth Story

He is here! 
Owen William Emmett
7 lbs 11oz, 19.5 in.
My delivery went really well this time around. To my surprise, my doctor offered to induce me anytime after 39 weeks. At first I was hesitant about being induced because I had heard such horror stories of inductions ending in c-sections, taking a long time, and this and that... However I felt really good about it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I had a really good experience and it went way better than Weston's delivery. We checked into the hospital Wednesday morning, about 9:30 a.m. I was 39 weeks and 4 days and SO ready to have this baby:) It was weird to have it so planned out, it felt like I was checking into a hotel. I slept really well the night before and was well rested when we arrived. We took Wes to my sister's house the night before so she could watch him during our hospital stay. Weston's delivery was so different because I was exhausted by the time we got to the hospital and was sent home and laboring for days with no sleep before even getting to the hospital. Yay for being induced:)
10:00 a.m. they started the pitosin. It started out a little slow, but the doctor broke my water around 2:00 p.m. and then things went super fast. Got my epidural around 3:00 p.m. Didn't really work so they had to take it out then do it again. (not cool.) Finally started to work and then by 5:30 I was almost dilated to a 9. Started pushing and 5 minutes later out he came!
He weighed and measured the exact same as his older brother. 7 lbs 11 oz and 19.5 in tall.  They must really be brothers. Owen looks very similar to how Weston looked as a baby except lighter colored hair and a little more of it. When Wes came to visit he wasn't super excited about seeing Owen, but he wasn't upset about it either. So far he neither loves him or hates him. His main concern at the hospital was the "bug" in Owen's belly button (umbilical cord) and pushing the buttons to make my bed go up and down.

He was happy about all the cookies and snacks the nurses brought him, watching cartoons, and playing with the stethoscope:)
We are so happy to have Owen in our family.
He had higher levels for jaundice so he had to sleep in the tanning bed for a day or two, but now he's good.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally!! I have been dying to see more pictures of him! He is so adorable! Good job!! I cannot wait to see him in person now!

Susan said...

So glad it was easier this time around for you! He is such a cutie--I need to see him again soon. Great pictures! You guys are one cute family! love ya!

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

What a cute little guy. My little guy is VERY jealous as he was convinced that our baby should be named Owen. You should have seen his face when they announced in church that your baby Owen was born. Hahaha

Katey Fielding said...

What cute pictures! Your whole experience sounds so wonderful and I'm so happy for you. Can't wait to see you all (and meet Owen).

Emmett Family said...

What a cute family and 2 very handsome boys you guys have.

Andrea said...

Yay for a great delivery and a healthy little baby. Can't wait to meet the little guy!

Nancy said...

Great pictures! What a beautiful family! Love you all.

Jamie Frandsen said...

Way to go Ruth! Looks like we are on the same track, two boys ;-) Mine 2nd is due July first. Way to go, he is super cute! FYI your delivery date picture is what I look like at 6 months. Totally no fair - - you stay so tiny! Good for you. I look and feel like a whale. Do doctors induce 4 weeks early ? j/k